Background Image for Header:
Conference/Travel - Coronavirus Update
UPDATED March 18, 2020
All University-related international and domestic travel for WVU employees has been suspended until further notice.
How COVID-19 Will Affect Reconciling Your Expenses
Please Note: if you require reimbursement of travel costs, have PCard transactions to reconcile related to travel, or have already reconciled any PCard transactions that have now been canceled due to COVID-19 please refer to https://procurement.wvu.edu/home/news/2020/03/16/purchasesexpensescovid19 for expenditure information
- Conference Fees –Travelers should contact the conference organization and request a refund of conference fees for cancelled conferences. If the organization is unwilling to provide a refund, please submit your expense report as previously mentioned above.
- Hotel Fees –In most instances, Travelers should be able to cancel hotel reservations without a fee at least two-days in advance. If the hotel is unwilling to provide a refund, please submit your expense report as previously mentioned above.
- Rental Car Fees –In most instances, Travelers should be able to cancel car reservations without fee. If the rental company is charging a fee to cancel, please email Cait Mutkus, PCPS’s Travel Analyst or call at 3-4232 and we will contact the rental company to resolve.
- Airline Fees –Airlines will generally provide a credit for cancelled tickets in the name of the traveler. Some airlines may waive cancellation fees for travel canceled due to the COVID-19. Please see links below for each major airline carrier’s site for cancellation policies as they continue to update those policies. Through April 30, 2020 (subject to extension), If the airline is unwilling to provide a refund due to COVID-19 related cancellations, please submit your expense report as previously mentioned above. Travelers receiving credit for cancelled tickets should use the credit for work-related future travel. Please make sure to note the deadline for using the credit, as they will vary by airline carrier. WVU strongly recommends booking the new fares on a purchasing chard through MyTravel or via email/phone with World Travel. This will allow maximum traveler flexibility, support from our travel agency for the traveler, and an appropriate assessment of fare booking (nonrefundable vs. fully refundable, etc.).
Frequently asked questions:
What should I do if I have recently traveled? Per the Governor's recent
announcement, Anyone traveling:
- Internationally: All employees or students returning from travel to international locations designated as Level 3 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must self-quarantine/self-monitor for 14 days prior to returning to any WVU campus. Student workers and employees must also notify their supervisor of their travel and self-quarantine / self-monitor status. The only exceptions to this are individuals who can provide documentation that they have tested negative for coronavirus since returning from international or domestic travel. All employees or students returning from travel to all other international locations must self-quarantine/self-monitor at home for a period of time. Student workers and employees must also notify their supervisor of their travel and self-quarantine / self-monitor status. Travelers who have no symptoms and no known exposure to individuals with COVID-19 should remain at home and self-monitor for a minimum of 5 days. If symptoms develop during the five-day period, the traveler should either undergo testing or remain in self-quarantine for a full 14 days.
- Domestic: All employees or students returning from domestic travel outside of WV must self-monitor at home for a period of time. Student workers and employees must also notify their supervisor of their travel self-monitor status. Travelers who have no symptoms and no known exposure to individuals with COVID-19 should remain at home and self-monitor for a minimum of 5 days. If symptoms develop during the five-day period, the traveler should either undergo testing or remain in self-quarantine for a full 14 days. Travelers who return from domestic locations where community transmission of COVID-19 has been identified (currently the states of Washington, California and New York) or who have been exposed to someone with known COVID-19 should remain at home and self-monitor for 14 days prior to returning to work.
- Am I required to cancel my upcoming trip? Due to the recent developments in West Virginia, you are now required to cancel any University-related travel.
- How do I cancel my trip? For those that booked using MyTravel or our travel agency, World Travel, the trips can be canceled directly in MyTravel or with the agent. For those that booked outside of the travel program, please refer to the cancellation policy on the booking receipt. If you need assistance, please contact Cait Mutkus, PCPS’s Travel Analyst, can be contacted at 3-4232 or email@example.com.
- What if I am in travel status and need to return home? With increased cancellation of flights, travelers may contact our travel agent (World Travel) directly at 877-778-7936 for university-related stranded travel or rebooking issues.
- Where can I go for information about COVID-19 and travel? Please see the CDC’s page here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
- Who can I contact with questions related to my travel? Cait Mutkus, PCPS’s Travel Analyst, can be contacted at 3-4232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I still need to register international travel? Per the BOG Travel Rule, all recent international travel must be registered with the Office of Global Affairs. Registration can be done online. Registering your travel ensures you are covered by WVU’s international insurance in the event of any unforeseen circumstances. Please contact the office of Global Affairs for questions related to international travel at (304) 293-7265.Where can I find my airlines cancellations policies around COVID-19? Below are links to the major air carriers:
- United Airlines: https://www.united.com/en/us
- Delta Airlines: https://www.delta.com/
- Southwest Airlines: https://www.southwest.com/
- American Airlines: https://www.aa.com/homePage.do