Association Membership Dues Policy
West Virginia University Policy
Division of Administration and Finance
ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP DUES POLICY
The purpose of this policy is to inform University departments how they can obtain annual dues or memberships in professional or voluntary organizations.
This policy applies to all University employees, including those on the regional campuses.
Annual dues or memberships in professional or other voluntary organizations can be obtained by a department upon approval through the Office of the Secretary of Education and the Arts for the Governor’s Office.
Guidelines for obtaining association memberships are discussed below:
- Departmental memberships only are permitted (i.e., individual memberships are not permitted).
- Funding for an association membership by more than one department is permissible.
- A Questionnaire for Membership in Associations must be submitted when the following conditions apply:
1. The membership is new to a particular area.
2. There has been a change in current funding information.
3. There has been an increase in the amount of dues.
4. When dues or memberships will be funded from multiple departments.
- In the event that a vendor will not allow a blanket institutional membership and requires each department to acquire a separate membership, a letter of justification needs to be included with the questionnaire.
A Master Listing is included each year in the institution’s expenditure schedule (the document that is sent to Charleston for budget approval) for approval from the Secretary of Education and the Arts. During this time, changes to current memberships can be made without the submission of a questionnaire. All new memberships will still require a questionnaire.
Procedure development rests with Business Services.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR IMPLEMENTATION
All employees are charged with providing full support to this policy. It is the responsibility of the Dean or Director to implement and maintain this policy within their college, department, or unit. Business Services, at 293-4001 or P.O. Box 6001, is available to answer questions or provide additional information regarding this policy.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR INTERPRETATION
The responsibility for interpretation of this policy rests with the Director of Business Services, West Virginia University.
Effective Date: February 4, 1999
Approved By: Scott C. Kelley, Vice President